March 28, 2007

Tagging is del.icio.us, Part 2

This is a picture of my tag roll from del.icio.us, presented as a word cloud. Every tag I assigned to a website is displayed here. The tags I assigned most often are displayed with large fonts while the least used tags are displayed with small fonts.
One of my most frequently used tags is a bookmark I created for Featured websites. I used the link roll
tool in del.icio.us to add the links to these sites in my kcls27things training blog. The links in the sidebar are updated as I add or remove this bookmark from sites that I tag in del.icio.us.

I am fascinated by tag clouds. I believe they reveal information about users themselves: their interests, preferences, and what informs their view of the world.

I would like to see user tagging in library catalogs, not to replace subject searching by any means, but as a way of opening up new channels of communication, or conversations, between libraries and users. I think this is a very exciting time to be a librarian!