April 06, 2007

Veni, vidi, wiki

I came, I saw, I wiki. Admittedly, a terrible corruption of Veni, vidi, vici but do follow the link to the Wikipedia article. It's a hoot. I've been plagued by the flu and an eye infection this week so I'm blogging with one eye and a limited amount of oxygen reaching my brain.

I was very impressed with the look of SJPLC's Subject Guide wikis and it should be apparent to everyone by now how much I depend on Wikipedia to supplement my blog posts. I can see how wikis might be useful for compiling procedures for internal use, collaborating and sharing information with work groups across the library system, and as pathfinders for public use.

Something like SJPLC's Harry Potter subject guide could be created as part of a virtual branch display. Not only would it showcase our our collection but it could also highlight services that patrons may not be aware of: electronic reference resources, online serials, staff (or patron)-created reading lists, or links to special programs or events involving the release of the last book in the series.
Why not create a (moderated) Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows-themed blog and invite young readers to share their thoughts about upcoming release of the new book and provide links to and from a Harry Potter-themed wiki?
Why not plan a Deathly Hallows library event, publicize it on the wiki and the blog, take (child-safe) photos at the event, and then post them on the wiki and the blog?

There are many service possibilities in mashing together the amazing resources we already have with the applications we are learning in KCLS27things training.

Spoiler alert? Check out the book cover of the U.K. edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's very interesting ...