May 11, 2007

So long, farewell?

I can't believe we've already come to the end of our kcls27things learning experience. Participating in this program and being an advocate was the most satisfying experience in my professional career. If I am given the opportunity to do something like this in the future, I will leap at the chance. I would like to be part of whatever plans there are to implement Library 2.0 ideas and programs at KCLS in the future. This experience has left me feeling revitalized and excited about my career again! I intend to explore the virtual environment that is Second Life; create APIs and mashups; and use tools like wikis, Zoho, and Google Documents to collaborate with co-workers and friends, and post about my experiences in my blog.

Surprises: I never expected that I would have much use for Flickr until I started using it. I was so inspired that I bought a digital camera and found I way to use Flickr in my job. After a frustrating and fruitless experience trying to download podcasts with iTunes, I thought I wouldn't enjoy listening to podcasts. Then I fed them to Bloglines and everything changed!

This program had a remarkable effect on people in my department and division. Participants appear to be more engaged in their work. They have greater confidence, connect more with co-workers, and have a sparkle about them. Our collective energy, excitement, and laughter was infectious as new discoveries were made and shared with others. I hope our patrons will feel that way when they are invited to participate in Library 2.0 programs and services in the future.

2.0 libraries that we've seen along the way invite patrons to:


  • imagine
  • create
  • connect
  • collaborate
  • explore

If Web 2.0 and beyond is the Internet made personal, then Library 2.0+ is the library made personal.

Imagine a patron entering a branch through a physical or virtual portal and receiving a warm greeting and an array of user-inspired choices with the message:



Welcome to Your Library. What would You like to do today?